Re: MySQL Replication

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MySQL Replication
From: "Don Hinshaw" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 20:14:57 -0000
"Alexander N. Spitzer" <aspitzer@xxxxxxxxx> said:

> how often are you running rsync? since this is not realtime replication,
> you run the risk of losing information if the master dies before the rsync
> has run (and new data has been added since the last rsync.)

FWIW

I have one client where we do this. At this moment ( I just checked) their
database is 279 megs. An rsync from one box to another across a local 100mbit
connections takes 7-10 seconds if we run it at 15 minute intervals. If we run
it at 5 minute intervals it takes < 3 seconds. If we run it too often, we get
an error of "unexpected EOF in read_timeout".

I don't know what causes that error, and they are very happy with the current
situation, so I haven't spent any time to find out why. I assume it has
something to do with write caching or filesystem syncing, but that's just a
wild guess with nothing to back it up. For all I know, it could be ssh related.

We also do an rsync of their http content and httpd logs, which total
approximately 30 gigs. We run this sync hourly, and it takes about 20 minutes.

-=dwh=-

                        -alex

> Alexander N. Spitzer                  Email: aspitzer@xxxxxxxxx
> Unix Systems Engineer                 Phone: 617.349.9361
> http://www.3plex.com
        eFax : 509.752.4680