Re: MySQL Replication

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MySQL Replication
From: "Michael McConnell" <michaelm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:39:05 -0700
I do recognize this is not *perfect* I run the Rsync every 20 minutes, and
then I run myismchk on the slave system immediately afterwards. I run the
MyISMChk to only scan Tables that have changed since the last check. Not all
my tables change every 20 minutes. I will be timing operations and lowering
this Rsync down to approximately 12 minutes. This method works very
effectively for managing a 6 Gig Database that is changing approximately 400
megs of data a day.

Keep in mind, there are no *real time* replication methods available for
MySQL. Running with MySQL's building Replication commonly results (at least
with a 6 gig / 400 megs changing) in as much as 1 hour of data
inconsistency. The only way to get true real time is to use a shared storage
array.

Mike.

> how often are you running rsync? since this is not realtime replication,
> you run the risk of losing information if the master dies before the rsync
> has run (and new data has been added since the last rsync.)
>

> -alex

> Alexander N. Spitzer Email: aspitzer@xxxxxxxxx
> Unix Systems Engineer Phone: 617.349.9361
> http://www.3plex.com eFax : 509.752.4680
>
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Michael McConnell wrote:
>
> > I've just completed the Rsync deployment method, this works very well. I
> > find this method vastly superiors to both other methods we discussed.
> > Using Rsync allows me to only use 2 HOSTS and I can still provide 100%
> > uptime. In the other method I need 3 systems to provide 100% uptime.
> >
> > In addition the Rsync method is far easier to maintain and setup.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > Mike

Developer
> > > pbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx