Re: Problem with LVS-DR and Windows NT

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problem with LVS-DR and Windows NT
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 00:15:00 +0100
Hello,

Wel you could configure it without a default gateway... No idea where NT
would send the packets then.

The stack code drops them.

Anyway, that seemed to be the problem (or one of the problems). Since there
is a default gateway, NT tries to find out where to send it to and sends arp
requests on the loopback adapter. Of course there is no response, so no ACK
from the server :((

Are you 100% sure that the MS loopback adapter sends arp requests?
And you definitely need a DGW for LVS_DR setups.

So to solve this I have put the 'real ip' as default gateway (in this case
192.168.202.141), problem is again that there is no arp going out so the
machine has no idea of the MAC address. So add the MAC address to the static
MAC table and voila, that seemed to do it.

Very strange. What is the output of 'route show|print' on the NT box?

So I guess another option is to leave the default gateway blank...

Not really. Just the one for the loopback.

If there are other people who tried using NT realservers and failed, please
let me know, because it worked..., but it randomly failed on monday :((

All NT systems I had to integrate with the LVS_DR approach worked flawlessly. And I did it how it is described in the LVS HOWTO.

Now it seems to work better, so I'll put it up again next week

Good luck,
Roberto Nibali, ratz