Re: Problem with LVS-DR and Windows NT

To: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problem with LVS-DR and Windows NT
From: Thierry Coopman <calvin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:07:26 +0100
On 05-03-2002 21:10, "Peter Mueller" <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>         Description . . . . . . . . : MS LoopBack Driver
>>         Physical Address. . . . . . : 20-4C-4F-4F-50-20
>>         DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
>>         IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.202.140
>>         Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
>>         Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.202.1
>
> this looks ok.  if I remember correctly "default gateway" in NT is a box
> that is generic in tcp/ip settings, so even the loopback adapter has one..

Wel you could configure it without a default gateway... No idea where NT
would send the packets then.

Anyway, that seemed to be the problem (or one of the problems). Since there
is a default gateway, NT tries to find out where to send it to and sends arp
requests on the loopback adapter. Of course there is no response, so no ACK
from the server :((

So to solve this I have put the 'real ip' as default gateway (in this case
192.168.202.141), problem is again that there is no arp going out so the
machine has no idea of the MAC address. So add the MAC address to the static
MAC table and voila, that seemed to do it.

So I guess another option is to leave the default gateway blank...

Thanks for the help and to point me to the right debugging tools for windows
NT.

If there are other people who tried using NT realservers and failed, please
let me know, because it worked..., but it randomly failed on monday :((

Now it seems to work better, so I'll put it up again next week