Re: Problem with LVS-DR and Windows NT

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problem with LVS-DR and Windows NT
From: Thierry Coopman <calvin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 07:23:52 +0100
On 06-03-2002 16:54, "Joseph Mack" <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thierry Coopman wrote:
>

>> Anyway, that seemed to be the problem (or one of the problems). Since there
>> is a default gateway, NT tries to find out where to send it to and sends arp
>> requests on the loopback adapter. Of course there is no response, so no ACK
>> from the server :((
>>
>> So to solve this I have put the 'real ip' as default gateway (in this case
>> 192.168.202.141), problem is again that there is no arp going out so the
>> machine has no idea of the MAC address. So add the MAC address to the static
>> MAC table and voila, that seemed to do it.
>
> It's hard to believe no-one has found this problem before. Maybe no-one
> has put up an NT realserver.

It's hard to introduce a Linux solution to a Windows NT job :)

> What is the 'real ip'? It's not the IP of the default gw?

That's what I've put in, so that the real ip can send out the packet to the
network. This seems to work a lot better :)

> You had to put a static entry in the NT machine for the MAC address of the
> default gw? How do you do that?

Arp -s ip ether, make sure this gets executed when booted (and I assure you
these machines boot frequently). To get the ether do an 'ipconfig /all'.

Putting the arp of the firewall gateway was also possible, but illogical
since we have a failover setup and this would force all packets to the wrong
mac once the backup took over. So using the static arp entry from the
real-ip card should work better :) I'll test a bit more today.

I guess if you leave the gateway address blank it'll work too. I'll check
today (some more reboots are coming my way I giess :))