Re: Problem with LVS-DR and Windows NT

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problem with LVS-DR and Windows NT
From: Thierry Coopman <calvin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:36:55 +0100
Hi,

I must admint that I'm not an NT administrator :)
I was just asked to put LVS up for these systems.

On 08-03-2002 00:09, "Roberto Nibali" <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What are the keepalive settings of your IIS thread when forked of generally?

They are in default value.

> This is really stupid if I can second you because NT doesn't handle a
> lot of long sessions very well. See below ...

We haven't had problems with that before. I'll check with my collegues (the
NT admins :)

> They don't hang on the director, the NT machine is just too slow or your
> application is broken.

Or the SYN_ACK doesn't get back :)

> ?? Strange.

Indeed.

> Because the IIS on your NT server couldn't handle the concurrent
> sessions anymore. I bet you 5 bucks on it.

:) Well those 1500 sessions are during the slow morning hours :)
There are 6 servers here that are capable of handling > 800 per server (I'm
told, and indeed I've seen)

>> I have a setup balancing 2 FreeBSD machines using the same setup and I have
>> never seen these 'SYN_RECV' states on that setup.
>
> Also https? The same setup, same application?

Https, same setup, not the same application (apache instead of IIS of
course)

> What is the SP release?

SP6

> Maybe you have a configuration problem on the IIS, something like too
> little settings for max concurrent sessions or keepalive quirks.

I'll check these out with the NT admins, thanks for pointing it out

> Hope I wasn't too arrogant. I wish you good luck,

I'm already happy with every feedback I receive (even arrogant). This NT
stuff is a transitional phase, but it's giving me more headaces than the
eventual setup.