Question about LVS-DR setup

Subject: Question about LVS-DR setup
From: djo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:01:07 -0700
Hi, I'm trying to build a LVS using lvs-dr.  I have read the HOWTOs yet am
confused about one thing: in all the examples, none of the directors seem to
be using a real IP address on the Internet.  I am confused about whether the
VIP for the director/realservers is going to be an actual live IP address or
not.  If it is, then would I not need to have 2 ethernet cards in the
director - one to face outward and one to face inward to connect to the
realservers?
If I have only one ethernet interface in the director, then I am assuming it
must be on an internal private subnet behind a firewall that is taking
incoming packets
from the live IP and forwarding them to the virtual IP on the private subnet.
This is in fact how I tried to initially set it up.  Everything worked fine
if the client machine was on the same private subnet.  But if the client had
to go through a firewall box running DNAT (the only way to do it I am
assuming) then the client cannot connect.

So my question is: do I need 2 interfaces or just one on the director.  If
two, then will I not have to do DNAT internally on the director to pass
packets from the live IP to the VIP?  If one, how can I get it to work
assuming that the director is sitting behind another box doing DNAT?