Re: Question about LVS-DR setup

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, djo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Question about LVS-DR setup
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 06:28:00 -0400
djo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> But the basic question I have is unanswered even in the the lvs-nat section
> of the HOWTO: how is outside traffic supposed to get to a VIP configured
> with a live network address if the actual ethernet interface is configured
> for a private subnet?  Or do I need 2 NICs?  But the HOWTO only mentions one
> NIC and one VIP...

A NIC can have many addresses (up to 256 I believe) on it from different and
unrelated networks. The main reason to use multiple NICs are that packets are
separated into different physical networks. This makes writting filter rules
easier and allows more throughput than one card can handle.

The VIP is contacted by the client. If the client is on the internet, then
the VIP must be a public IP. The RIPs are usually private IPs for both LVS-DR
and LVS-NAT. One NIC on the director can have both the public VIP and the
private DIP.