RE: Question about LVS-DR setup

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'djo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <djo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Question about LVS-DR setup
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 13:24:02 -0700
> So my question is: do I need 2 interfaces or just one on the
> director.  If
> two, then will I not have to do DNAT internally on the
> director to pass
> packets from the live IP to the VIP?  If one, how can I get it to work
> assuming that the director is sitting behind another box doing DNAT?

With LVS-DR you only need one interface.  The VIP is an ip resource that is
"in use" by the active LVS box.  Since ip traffic is generally a public
service like www it is very very common for the VIP to be a public IP.  Hope
that helps.

The setup you seem to consistently describe is LVS-NAT.  Please checkout
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/how.html carefully and write back with any
questions.

good luck,

Peter