Re: Question about LVS-DR setup

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, djo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Question about LVS-DR setup
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:16:15 -0400
djo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> One thing I didn't realize initially and that didn't
> seem  clear to me in
> the HOWTO's regarding a one-NIC-two-network setup was that I must have the
> 2 subnets plugged into the same switch.

hmm, how do you have 1 NIC connected to 2 switches (just so no-one else
has to go through the same problem)?

> I wanted to not use the director as the gateway for the realservers but am
> wondering if there are constraints based on the fact that the realservers I
> am using are
> running Windows 2000

with LVS-NAT, the director has to be the default gw for the realservers. For
LVS-DR
you can use the director as the default gw as long as you apply one of Julian's
patches to the director.

> assigned to the lo0 device.  Is it correct that for direct-routing from the
> realservers to the client that the default gateway for the realservers
> should be the gateway on the external subnet (i.e. the gateway on the
> network of the VIP)?

any path that doesn't go through the director is OK.