Re: HTTP(s) persistence

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: HTTP(s) persistence
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:33:36 -0500
devendra orion wrote:

> The website is hosted on win2000 and
> uses IIS session Mgmt (no cookies).

I don't know anything about IIS session mgmt.
If this would be useful to others setting up an LVS,
could you give us some more info about it? Thanks

> Only problem is we
> need to keep this session alive for basically 8 hrs as
> our clients access the application continuously. So
> how can i configure the loadbalancer to keep the
> connection persistence to same server after successful
> client login?

8hrs = 8 * 60 * 60 sec = some_number

ipvsadm -A -t VIP -p some_number

you are probably going to handle tcp timeouts as well
(see postings in the last week and in the HOWTO).

The best solution is not to use persistence, but to re-write
the application, so that the state information is stored
in a place accessable to all realservers. In this way,
if one realserver fails, the session with the client can continue.
(see the section in the HOWTO on persistence).

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,