Re: server monitoring with weight changes

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: server monitoring with weight changes
From: Jerome RICHARD <jrichard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 11:35:16 +0100
Hello,

In this way, I think it should be interresting to dynamically change the weight of each real server depending on the time taken to load a Web page using a tool like wget.. ;)

Jérôme.

Sébastien Bonnet wrote:

Malcom,

Personaly I think it adds complication you shouldn't require...
As your servers are running the same app they should respond in
roughly the same way to traffic..

You said it : *should* ! Now, imagine you have N real servers, exact
same machines, serving the same content. And for any reason, the CPU
load on one of them skyrockets. Do you still think it *should* receives
as many requests as the other RS ? Personaly, I don't. Decreasing its
weight will give it an opportunity to come down.

You could also have more complicated setups where a few RS are serving
differents contents. A real server becoming loaded because it's part of
a loaded virtual server should not impact the global load of another
unload virtual server.

If you have a very fast server reduce its weight.

That's actually the way I initially do (when lvs/piranha starts). Then,
the weights may vary a bit due to CPU load, but globally keeping the
initial ratio between RS.

Regards,