Re: server monitoring with weight changes

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: server monitoring with weight changes
From: Per Andreas Buer <perbu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 14 Dec 2002 02:05:43 +0100
Leonard Soetedjo <Leonard@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> From reading the howto, mon doesn't handle dynamically changing the
> realserver weights. Is it advisable to create a monitoring program
> that changes the weightage of the realserver? The program will check
> the worker's load, memory etc and reduce or increase the weight in the
> director based on those information.

I ran into the same problem this summer. I was setting up a loadbalanced
SMTP cluster - and I wanted to distribute the incomming connections
based on number of e-mails in the mail-servers queues.

We ended up making our own program to do this. Later, I made the thing a
bit more generic and released it. You might want to check it out;

http://www.linpro.no/projects/lvs-kiss/

lvs-kiss distributes incomming connections based on some numerical value
- as lang as you are able to quantify it - it can be used. It can also
time certain test in order to acquire the load of the realservers.

--
There are only 10 different kinds of people in the world,