Virtual Ethernets not brought down

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Virtual Ethernets not brought down
Cc: piranha-list@xxxxxxxxxx
From: pb <peterbaitz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:55:19 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,

I am checking with R.H. and I know this group
generally does not speak about Piranha/LVS, but I have
an issue which I hope someone else might have noted,
and solved up here.  I've included (below) what
Piranha/LVS is supposed to do, and does do under
normal circumtances (low uptime), but to date only
thing that I can gather is 50+ days of uptime causes
the virtual ethernets (LVS eth0:1 NAT eth1:1, etc.) to
NOT get shut down even though pulse daemon correctly
stops lvs daemon at those times it is proper.  Below
is listed the normal/expected behavior.  But in the
"Network Drops" section (below), though I've tested
this and it works correctly for low uptime, I've seen
(in production environment with 50+ days uptime) the
backup LVS stop lvs daemon correctly, but the virtual
ethernets still hang on, causing routing confusion
until manually stopped.

Anyone see this with either Piranha or with LVS
heartbeat in general?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Correct Piranha/LVS Behavior:

BOX GOES DOWN BEHAVIOR
One of the Piranha boxes goes down, or pulse is killed
on it.  The Piranha box still up and running takes
over. When the downed box comes back up it just
runs pulse, allowing the already live box to continue
services.

NETWORK DROPS BEHAVIOR
Public network connection is broken from one of the
Piranha boxes. The one which was running pulse only
activates its lvs and virtual ethernets.  Then
restore the network.  Now the two boxes negotiate and
find out who is the actual backup, and the actual
backup relinquishes control by stopping lvs and
stopping the virtual ethernets (eth0:1,eth1:1,etc.),
and just runs pulse.