Re: Failover Between 2 Datacenters

Subject: Re: Failover Between 2 Datacenters
From: nick garratt <nick-lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 09:32:07 +0200
Replying to my own post is poor etiquette, I know

Consider this however:
DNS is a distributed DB essentially, but all mods are propagated from the master. Secondaries are available if a master fails, but not for zone transfers.

Correction: zones _can_ be transferred from a slave (I do this from within my LVS setup - my primary never answers queries to the world directly), but slaves cannot (in my experience) be used for zone modification. Possibly the slaves can be updated by means other than zone propagation in case of a master outage, although I have not personally experimented with this.

This master DNS server still represents a single point of failure - should your master fall from the map (datacentre/network outage), how will you originate your zone change ? In this instance you will require the cooperation of your registrar to change the IP of your primary DNS server.