Re: Failover Between 2 Datacenters

Subject: Re: Failover Between 2 Datacenters
From: ken price <kprice75@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 22:35:10 -0700 (PDT)
I know my California example is a bit extreme, but I
wanted to be sure we were talking about a complete
datacenter outage.  If I had a dedicated cabinet with
one CAT5 cable running to it, and some 3rd-shift
network engineer with too much coffee in their blood
knocks my feed from the datacenter switch, I consider
that a "data center outage" for our discussion
purposes.  Or what if a core router starts spewing out
faulty route broadcasts that quickly spread and
corrupt the routes of member routers ... effectively
crippling a network (or internet backbone) for hours.
Human error is very real.  I'm sure hundreds of
*realistic* scenarios could be thought of to justify
off-site redundancy, so lets just move on.

I mentioned VRRP to stress the desire for
near-instantaneous failover ... minimizing the amount
of downtime a client accessing your site may
experience.
It should all be transparent as far as they're
concerned.  Obviously, without considerable expense,
this is not achievable.  It looks like the best
solution for this scenario is one using DNS with low
(30 sec?) TTL values.  It won't immediately failover
your services, but it may reduce your downtime from
hours to [several] minutes should some major outage
occur at your primary datacenter.  Nick, I agree with
you that DNS solutions are less than ideal,
considering there are so many factors out of your
control like caching DNS servers that ignore your TTL
values, but it seems to be the only solution for
cost-conscious companies forced to provide three or
more 9's of service to their clients.

For those of you out there who have ever supplied HA
services (SOAP Web Services in our case) to
Fortune-500,100,etc level companies know the
importance of redundant facilities in your service
offering or RFP replies.  You won't make it though
their due-dillegence process without it.

I want to thank all who have contributed to this
thread (on and off list) and acted as sounding boards
for my discussion.  I felt a "Global" or "Datacenter-
level" failover solution hadn't been discussed in
enough detail in any online forum I'd found, and the
LVS group seemed to be the perfect one.

Thanks!
-Ken