Re: Failover Between 2 Datacenters

Subject: Re: Failover Between 2 Datacenters
From: nick garratt <nick-lvs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 13:53:40 +0200
Hii

Just some clarity: are we talking about HTTP services or any arbitrary service ?

Ideally one's hosting facility should be multi-homed and dealing with route redundancy at the BGP level. Clearly this is not an option in the cases under discussion.

I really don't see this as an issue that LVS is suited to. The simplest possible solution to this issue as I see it is:

1. Co-host or host a server at a multi-homed (no single route failure will render it unreachable) facility with redundancy ala heartbeat (www). 2. the servers which will actually do the work are hosted elsewhere at multiple cheaper facilities perhaps, without the required route redundancy (www1, www2).
3. mon on www monitors the availability of www1 and www2.
4. ALL incoming HTTP requests are initially directed to www which is always available. one only need issue this URL to one's clients. 5. www simply issues a HTTP header redirect either to www1 or www2 according to their health/ redirect count. 6. after the redirect the HTTP client continues to access the server it was redirected to. 7. database replication can be handled over VPN between www1 and www2 if necessary. this has its own issues, but is doable.

Is this not a workable solution ?

Nick