Re: Failover Between 2 Datacenters

Subject: Re: Failover Between 2 Datacenters
From: "Graham D. Purcocks" <grahamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 11:48:33 +0100
ken price wrote:

> All this chat between Joel, Joseph, and Roberto has let to some
> questions.  Is anyone aware of any project that would allow me the
> same level of failover/redundancy that an LVS project like Keepalived
> provides, but between clusters colocated with 2 different providers?
>
> I'll go into more detail.  I have a full-on production HA Cluster "A"
> colocated with Exodus Communications in San Francisco.  I have a
> lower-powered backup HA cluster "B" colocated with Worldcom in
> Chicago.  Assuming I'm talking about static content (I'm not, but this
> is hardly the forum for database or filesystem replication over VPN),
> how can I failover to backup cluster "B" if San Franciso suddenly
> falls into the ocean.  I'd like to failover at LVS/Heartbeat speeds of
> 30-60 seconds max.  I'd rather failover at VRRP speeds of less than 5
> seconds.
>
> Here's the kicker.  Because Worldcom can't route Exodus IP's, how
> would/could you handle this at the DNS level?  Could the answer lie
> in Dynamic DNS-type technology?  For the sake of this discussion, lets
> eliminate the possibility of both clusters living with the same Colo
> provider ... what would happen if Exodus or Worldcom suddenly went out
> of business?  :-)
>
> -Ken

Ken

I saw something on the UltraMonkey site which did this, Super Sparrow. I
also found another, but not being too helpful, I can't remember the
name. However, both projects appeared to start in 1999 and don't appear
to be be actively developed. Both were Dynamic DNS solutions.

I have the same situation where we have ultra critical Web servers in
the UK, and mirrored in the US. We currently give out clients both URL's
but it would be nice to not have to do this.

So if anyone knows of a solution which is active, I also would be
interested.

Graham
--
  Graham D. Purcocks            Weather Services International
                                22-24 Vittoria Street