Re: LVS-TUN not working

To: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS-TUN not working
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:49:06 +0200 (EET)
        Hello,

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Joseph Mack wrote:

> large LVS-TUN packets weren't being fragmented properly. Julian fixed
> it for 2.4.23
>
> http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-Tun.html#MTU
>
> (funny I can remember talking to Ratz at OLS about this, which would have been
> Jul 2003, but all the postings in the HOWTO are Dec 2003).

        There is only one remaining problem related to LVS-TUN: there
is no handling of ICMP errors destined to local IP and containing reply
to tunneled packet. Such cases can be frag_needed messages from
hosts before the real server which we do not relay to client.
The problem is more complex because such errors are not propagated
from ipip_err() to the routing cache and may be we can not learn the
right path MTU to the real server. Or may be we can update the PMTU
in the routing cache by listening to these ICMP errors in LOCAL_IN?
Needs experiments and time for fixing, patches are welcome.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>