Re: kernel oops

Subject: Re: kernel oops
From: Alexandre Cassen <alexandre.cassen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 09:33:36 +0100 (CET)
Hi Brad

> with unstable packages for keepalived and ipvsadm. apic and acpi is turned
> off.
> ipvsadm is version ipvsadm v1.21 2002/11/12 (compiled with popt and IPVS
> v1.0.9) [got this ipvsadm from mirrors.kernel.org as a debian package with
> apt
> unstable] and keepalived is Keepalived v1.1.6 (23/02, 2004) [ got keepalived
> from keepalived.org and applied this patch
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.keepalived.devel/870 ]. the traffic I am
> doing hourly on a 95th Percentile Metered Usage (updated hourly) is approx
> 12033.37 kb/sec.

Your conf sound good...

> Basically what happens is keepalived will stop passing traffic on all ip
> addresses it has.

Keepalived doesn't handle traffic it simply set VIP if you are using VRRP.
All the traffic is handled kernel space by IPVS code.

> the ips bound to the server with /etc/network/interfaces
> work fine so I can get on the machine. ipvsadm retains all ipvs settings when
> this problem happens. the only way that I have been able to fix this
>
> problem is to fail over to the secodary server and reboot the failed server.
> restart of keepalived does not do anything. also restarting networking as
> soon as ipvs threads start I get a kernel oops

If you don't see kind of VRRP VIP flapping (appearing and disappearing) and if
ipvs rulez are displayed in ipvsadm -ln output, then the problem is other place.

Will try to help you latter (currently too busy). Please send me your
keepalived.conf
files. But troubleshooting without direct access to the env is hard :/

regards,
Alexandre