Soekris, or other small embedded hardware?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Soekris, or other small embedded hardware?
From: Clint Byrum <cbyrum@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:27:22 -0700
I'd like to setup a two node Heartbeat/LVS load balancer using Soekris
Net4801 machines. These have a 266Mhz Geode CPU, 3 Ethernet, and 128MB
of RAM. The OS (probably LEAF) would live on a CF disk. If these are
overkill, I'd also consider a Net4501, which has a 133Mhz CPU, 64MB RAM,
and 3 ethernet.

I'd need to balance about 300 HTTP requests per second, totaling about
150kB/sec, between two servers. I'm doing this now with the servers
themselves (big dual P4 3.02 Ghz servers with lots and lots of RAM).
This is proving problematic as failover and ARP hiding are just a major
pain. I'd rather have a dedicated LVS setup.

1) anybody else doing this?
2) IIRC, using the DR method, CPU usage is not a real problem because
reply traffic doesn't go through the LVS boxes, but there is some RAM
overhead per connection. How much traffic do you guys think these should
be able to handle?

Thanks!
-cb