Re: Soekris, or other small embedded hardware?

Subject: Re: Soekris, or other small embedded hardware?
From: Roberto Nibali <ratz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 00:26:27 +0200
Hi,

In my tests, the Soekris net4501, 4511, and 4521 all were able to route almost
20Mbps at wire-speed.

pps?

I would suspect the 4801 to be in excess of 50Mbps, but remember, your Soekris
board has 3 nics, but
what they don't tell you is that they all share the same interrupt,

For all Geode based boards I've received more technical documentation than I was ever prepared to dive in. Most of the time you get a very accurate depiction of your hardware including south and north bridges and there you can see that the interrupt lines are hardwired and require a interrupt sharing.

However this is not a problem since there's not a lot of devices on the bus anyway that would occupy it and if you're really unhappy about the bus speed, use setpci to reduce latency for the NIC's IRQs.

Newer kernels have excellent handling for shared IRQs btw.

so performance degredation is exponential
with many packets per second.

Did you measure this? I know you get a pretty steep performance reduction once you push the pps too high but I newer saw exponential behaviour.

Take care,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc