RE: System crash

Subject: RE: System crash
From: "Peter Mueller" <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 10:15:49 -0700
> Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 02)

Ah.  I've used a bunch of these.  For me it seems they either work or cause
big problems.  In all the cases with problems, when I installed e1000 cards
in those servers all the problems went away.  For US $100 it's worth your
sanity with this server..

Ratz's noapic option is interesting.  But I don't know.  I have not heard a
"works for me everytime" fix other than changing to e1000.  On the Dell
Poweredge list this has been discussed quite a bit as they include Broadcom
cards with some models (2x50's, e.g. 2650s).
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/.  The 'noapic' worked for
a few people but was not conclusive.  Switching to later tg3 drivers/kernels
did the same.

E.g.,
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=pes_linux&mess
age.id=1520
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&cl
ient=firefox-a&q=noapic+poweredge+tg3&btnG=Search
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-February/023510.html