Re: System crash

To: clozano@xxxxxxxxxx,<lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: System crash
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:04:25 +0900
On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 11:04:22PM +0200, Lozano, Carlos A. wrote:

[snip]

> Reading the docs included in the cdrom, found that the tg3 driver is not
> recommended, and found in the cdrom a linux driver from broadcom
> (bcm5700-7.1.9), the next text is from the docs included with the driver:
>
> :Many newer distributions and newer kernels may already contain and use the
> :tg3 driver by default for Broadcom BCM5700 series devices. While tg3 is a
> fully
> :functioning driver written by Red Hat, Broadcom recommends users to use
> :the bcm5700 driver written and tested by Broadcom.

I have a little bit of experience here. In so much as we have some
machines with broadcom cards that we are doing some work on.  And the
Broadcom supplied driver (BCM5700) is definately the way to go.  It is a
much more compete driver, supports more of the chipset features, likely
more of the chipsets out there, and also seems to be more reliable. To
make life easy it is a drop in replacement - actually you can compile
both of them and insert and remove the drivers at run time as you
please.

--
Horms