Re: Performance issues with LVS-NAT

Subject: Re: Performance issues with LVS-NAT
From: Ed Fisher <efisher@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:48:22 -0600
On Feb 8, 2005, at 6:08 PM, Peter Mueller wrote:
Yes, I meant to say
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual- server&m=99308024901013&w=2. I
believe the HOWTO section for this is
http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS- NAT.html#one_netwo rk, but I didn't spend enough time to verify. It will be your job to make sure I didn't send the wrong link again ;_). If it is the wrong link you can
look at Joseph Mack's configure script for the morsel of goodness.

Thanks.

Something is different.  What does tcpdump say when the traffic starts
slowing? Are there repeat requests or packetloss? Is there anything in (e.g.) ifconfig that indicates bad network setup? Maybe your NICs somewhere are in auto and the switch is full duplex? I don't think this is an LVS
problem.

I do see a fair number of SACKs, which may indicate packetloss. I don't see any errors, collisions, or anything else indicative of issues there. NICs and switch are both in auto and negotiated 100mbit full duplex with no problems. tcpdump doesn't show anything out of the ordinary, throughput just drops. running tcpdump on the external interface and on the internal interface show almost, but not quite, identical numbers of packets being examined, which is good, I guess.

My current guess is that it's the uplink from the switch the external interface of the LVS machine is plugged into to the edge router. I say this because scping from the LVS machine to another machine on the same switch is very fast (80mbit/s or more), but scping from the LVS machine to a machine on the internet is much slower.

So, it seems likely that I've wasted a few K of storage on these emails. But it's helped, and it was worth it for the advice on the realservers->VIP issue alone.

I'll let you know tomorrow if I have any luck with cable rearrangement.

Thanks again,
Ed