RE: Performance issues with LVS-NAT

Subject: RE: Performance issues with LVS-NAT
From: "Peter Mueller" <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:37:16 -0800

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/mini-HOWTO/LVS-mini-HOWTO.html#gotchas

>look at the entry by Jacob Reif

Oh, there it is!  I was looking for this.  I'm sure this will stick into my
memory whenever I actually end up actually using a NAT LVS.  (Still only DR
after 4+ years).

BTW, are there any LVS books published yet?  Sometimes the HOWTO is just so
full of information it is hard to locate the morsel.  I'd be interested in
looking at a paperback or hardcover.

> On the other issue:
> I tested again with a different cable and seemed to be able
> to saturate
> the link.  That is, I was able to get about 55mbit/s through the
> director in testing while the CSS was simultaneously serving
> up about 45mbit/s.

Fantastic.  Isn't it great when the problem ends up being something nice to
fix :).

> Check what the interface speed is with 'mii-tool eth0'.  If you're
> plugging in to a Cisco switch, for some reason, most do not want to
> auto-negotiate to Full Duplex.  Manually set all ports on it to full
> duplex then manually set your nic with mii-tool to full
> duplex as well.

No, with gigabit devices the tool is ethtool.  Mii-tool is not being
developed anymore and has no support for any gigabit device, even in 100
megabit mode.

Regards,