Re: Performance issues with LVS-NAT

Subject: Re: Performance issues with LVS-NAT
From: Ed Fisher <efisher@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 13:29:40 -0600
Check what the interface speed is with 'mii-tool eth0'.  If you're
plugging in to a Cisco switch, for some reason, most do not want to
auto-negotiate to Full Duplex.  Manually set all ports on it to full
duplex then manually set your nic with mii-tool to full
duplex as well.

No, with gigabit devices the tool is ethtool.  Mii-tool is not being
developed anymore and has no support for any gigabit device, even in 100
megabit mode.

I was plugging into an extreme 24e2 switch, which was uplinked to an extreme 1i router. It was the connection between the 24e2 and the 1i that was bad. I plugged the LVS machine directly into the 1i, set the port to auto-negotiate on the 1i and the LVS machine, and linked up at 1000baseT FD. Quite nice. Testing without the css in the mix showed I was indeed able to saturate the link. Awesome.

Still, I wonder if there's a way other than firewall rules on the realservers, hosts entries, etc, to allow realservers to be clients to the VIP. The current plan is to recode the software that relies on it, but I'd like to have the feature available if it becomes necessary later.

-ed