Re: all clients disconnect on failover

Subject: Re: all clients disconnect on failover
From: "Sebastian Vieira" <sebvieira@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:17:58 +0200
Hi,

Thanks everyone for the replies. I realize by your postings that there
simply is no other way than changing the gateway on the realservers. Joe's
option of plugging the realservers into the back of the director is (i
think) not an option for us, as they are physically spread throughout the
building. But maybe i understand you incorrectly.

Brett: i definately want the benefits from LVS :)

I'll contact the people who're maintaining the realservers and drop the
request there. As a funny sidenote: I quickly checked one of the servers
yesterday and it's running linux-2.0.28 :)  very stripped-down because even
simple commands like ping are removed from it. Makes my work a whole lot ...
uhm, more interesting.

I'll get back as soon as i have an answer. It would be great if i could get
this working.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Kind regards,

Sebastian

On 10/11/06, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Brett Elliott wrote:

> On 10/11/06, Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Brett Elliott wrote:
>>
>> > On 10/11/06, Sebastian Vieira <sebvieira@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> > If you cannot change the realservers, then you cannot use LVS.
>>
>> not quite. you must use LVS-NAT.
>>
>> Joe
>
> With LVS NAT you must change the realserver by changing the gateway to
> be that of the director, and to the original author of this thread,
> that is not acceptable.

ah excuse me. Wasn't paying attention.

I don't suppose he can have the director advertise the IP of
the default gw (proxy-arp?). This would require plugging the
ethernet cables from the realservers into the back of the
director.