Re: [lvs-users] Are LVS / ldirectord Multithreaded?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Are LVS / ldirectord Multithreaded?
From: "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:44:19 -0700
>> The --stats switch gives totals for packets in/out.
>> The --rate switch shows pps, but the man page does not say
>> what the averaging period is. I'll try it during a busy production
>> day and see what I get.

> We measure rate during the last 8 seconds every 2 seconds:

Thanks for that info.

>> I changed it to 10 seconds and there was a definite,
>> observable drop in CPU utilization.  A graph of the past 6
>> hours shows that usage has now flattened out and is now
>> averaging less than 10%.

> Can you please put the graphs up that you sent separately on a
> webserver, so we can see what you're describing?

Sure... possibly right after this morning's Nevada Day parade. Kids in band,
you know...

> [From a list admin perspective the second message encoded
> to just over a megabyte which is pretty expensive when sending
> to over 1200 recipients...]

Figured that out right after I got the rejection notice. :o)

>> checkinterval=10
>> checktimeout=5
>> negotiatetimeout=8
>> checkcount=1

> I guess if this is acceptable then... it's acceptable.

It's not. That's why I had it set to 2 seconds. But at the moment I guess we're
talking possible compromises...

> For such a large number of realservers I think you may need to
> get creative with your healthchecking. You could use the
> "checkcommand" setting to ldirectord to read a value from a file
> which is kept updated by some other script which can check in
> parallel. Unfortunately I can't pull one of those out of a hat right now... :)

No problem. I'm a huge fan of scripts and I've written hundreds of them for
doing different things. I can hack something together.

--Eric

Disclaimer - November 1, 2008
solely for LinuxVirtualServer.org users mailing list.,LinuxVirtualServer.org
users mailing list.. If you are not the named addressee you should not
disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions
presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent
those of . Warning: Although  has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no
viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for
any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.