Re: LVS use for mass-webhosting companys: Does it make sense ?

To: Jochen Tuchbreiter <jochen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS use for mass-webhosting companys: Does it make sense ?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:08:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Jochen Tuchbreiter wrote:

> the things I worry about most:
>
> - if one machine gets cracked, the cracker is able to deface all sites we
> host since every realserver has access to the whole nfs-volume
>
> - if one user is able to write a cgi that takes down a whole box then he
> will be able to take down all boxes in the cluster one after another - this
> may reduce uptime as compared to a "many isolated boxes" solution

hadn't thought of it from that angle. LVS doesn't make things better or
worse in this case.

> > and you want to do this by nfs introducing the fileserver as a spof.
>
> Thatīs exactly what I want to avoid by having two NFS boxes which are in
> sync almost in realtime. The webslaves will check if the nfs-server does
> respond and will mount the "spare" server in case of a failure.

keeping 2 nfs servers in sync if updates are occuring frequently is a
problem. I haven't tried this, but Linux allows you to mirror disks.
This will handle the disk fail but not the failure of the server writing
to them.

> I wonder if File I/O will be a weak spot on such a system - this will
> certainly be a limiting factor for the cluster-size.

how fat is your internet connection? bigger than the bandwidth of reading
from your fileserver?

> I guess Iīll have to look for some other solution
> probably at the expense that both fileserver will not sync in realtime but
> every hour or so.

this makes life a lot easier for you

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx