Re: LVS use for mass-webhosting companys: Does it make sense ?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS use for mass-webhosting companys: Does it make sense ?
From: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 14:20:26 -0400 (EDT)
Actually, I was thinking about ways to automatically and safely replicate
the data across the various servers, and, well, I've noticed that nobody
ever mentions using the network block device support -- which is already
partially in the kernel.

Once you can export a block device over the network, you can include that
device in a software RAID-1 array, which will handle all the replication
for you.

I tinkered with it a bit, and it seems to have a few limitations/issues:
        1.  The server-side daemon is handled in user-space.  This is
        slow, and causes other problems -- for example, the buffer cache
        doesn't get updated when you change the underlying disk directly.
        Not good :)
        2.  The author recommends that exactly one side is read/write, and
        the other side be read-only at best.
        3.  I have no idea how you would communicate file locks to the
        other members.  (I imagine that for the most part, this problem
        goes away if you follow #2, though)
        4.  How is a live system going to react if someone is writing to
        it's block device, and the write gets interrupted?  ie - if the
        network cable gets cut, or something.  Maybe it could hold the
        command until the transmission is finished?

However, I think that this has much potential, as it has some major
advantages:
        1.  It appears to be relatively simple to implement.  Most of the
        core functionality is already there -- only the server in the
        kernel (and thus, the ability to manipulate the buffer cache)
        seems to be missing.
        2.  It provides 100% redundancy.  Even if the master disk dies,
        all of the other ones ought to have

Is there any particular reason why nobody seems to be trying this?

Kyle Sparger