Re: LVS use for mass-webhosting companys: Does it make sense ?

To: Jochen Tuchbreiter <jochen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS use for mass-webhosting companys: Does it make sense ?
Cc: "Robert C." <robertc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: james@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:33:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Jochen Tuchbreiter wrote:

> Since I have to start with a little amount of machines I will try to put the
> LDAP-server on the NFS boxes - maybe I will even have a LDAP-Server on every
> webslave that will automagically sync itself with a "Mainserver" on the
> NFS-Box once a day - this would take some load off the NFS-box.

Using OpenLDAP (and probably others) you could setup a replica on every
server.  It requires minimal resources, and updates will be virtually
instantaneous.

Another suggestion would be to run caching only dns servers on every box,
thus limiting the traffic to the dns server.  This wouldn't be needed if
your webservers were set not to resolve every address coming in.

James