Re: LVS use for mass-webhosting companys: Does it make sense ?

To: Jochen Tuchbreiter <jochen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS use for mass-webhosting companys: Does it make sense ?
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 13:17:53 -0700
On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 07:01:49AM -0400, Joseph Mack wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Jochen Tuchbreiter wrote:
> > Would clustering/LVS (in your eyes) make
> > sense for (quality) mass-virtual hosting at all ?
>
> absolutely. that's why we're working on it :-)

Yes. If you are doing name based virtuals then you will be fine
as you only need to advertise one virtual server under LVS>
If you are doing IP based virtuals then you should look
at setting up a fwmark virtual service, by marking incoming packets
using ipchains. IPVS >=0.9.10 is able to match on fwmark packets,
hence greatly simplifying the configuration if a large number of
addresses are required.

> one of the LVS developers did a demo with gfs to keep files in sync
> see http://ultramonkey.sourceforge.net/

GFS isn't (in my oppinion) ready for production yet.

--
Horms