Re: NAT routing not working

To: "Bruno L. F. Cabral" <bruno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NAT routing not working
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:50:00 -0400
"Bruno L. F. Cabral" wrote:

> > You cannot have any direct connection from the real-server
> > to the outside world. The only connection is through the director
> > (and its masq tables). The director is the default route for the
> > real-server.
>
> my excuses but I cannot see your point here. please note
>
> - the real servers have private addresses and default route to the
> VS-NAT router (which is working, in case you didn't saw when I said
> that I can ping the outside world from the real servers).

yes but you/I don't know the route of the ping. Is is going via the director
or directly? I assume is that it is going directly, since this is the most
common mistake setting up VS-NAT. If you've got all this correct,
then I'll have to think again.

> - the VS-NAT router have its default route to the world.
>
> I read many examples where the VS routers share the wire (i.e. hub)
> with real servers (mostly DR examples, I must say) on the lvs.org
> documentation section

VS-NAT is different. It is possible to have a 1 NIC VS-NAT director in which
case the
client, director and real-server is on the same wire, but you have a 2 NIC
director. I haven't thought about the 2 NIC case for a while, but you can always
configure an LVS to work if there is no connection between the client and the
real-servers (except via the director). It's just easier to mess up if you have
2 NICs and all on the same wire.