Re: Distributions with pre-installed LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Distributions with pre-installed LVS
From: ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:06:55 +0100
Hi,

Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> Seriously, how often have we seen a question which was traced down to a kernel
> bug?

only twice ;)

> With Linux 2.4, LVS is "just another netfilter module", so this will become
> a lot easier. Just replace the netfilter module.

Just don't forget the dummy user to tell that he shouldn't load the
ip_conntrack module toghether with ipvs since I'm positive that SuSE
will ship a preconfigured kernel with all possible modules compiled
in. [ no offense to aa ]

> > I agree.  If Suse or Redhat don't include the extra patches, then nobody
> > will use their distributions - they will find somebody who does.
>
> Or worse, people will not consider using Linux at all as their OS, because
> they can't get the needed features out of the box.

<idiot mode> This is ok for me. We have Windows for the dummy users </idiot
mode>

> Most problems relate to general issues with understanding how LVS works. The
> kernel patch used for that isn't quite a problem for that.

Redhat made the error of including the patch too early. It just was not
ready for productionary use. But the other way 'round if distros would
not include bleeding edge development patches, they would have nothing
to sell ;)

Regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz

--