Re: Does someone really use LVS as a HTTP,FTP or SMTP server?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Does someone really use LVS as a HTTP,FTP or SMTP server?
Cc: huatao <thua@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Greg Cope <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:11:22 +0000
Kyle Sparger wrote:

> > 6.6.2.6 Databases
> >
> > Normal databaseds (eg mysqld, ie anything else but
> > Oracle's parallel database server for several 100k$)
> > running under LVS suffer the same restrictions of single
> > writer/many readers as does any other service where user
> > can write to files on the real-server (eg smtp).
>
> I don't know how well it works, but from what I understand, recent
> versions of MySQL contain replication code that allows you to replicate
> (read only, mind you) from one server to another.
>
> Something I was considering was creating a star-like topology of MySQL
> databases -- a central one which accepts writes, and the arms being
> exclusively for reads.
>
> While this obviously isn't the ideal situation -- there is a single point
> of failure for writes -- it does at least allow for high availability and
> load balancing for reads.  When a program needs to read, connect to an LVS
> balanced IP/port, which sends off to the read-only databases.  When you
> need to write, connect to the real IP/port of the writable database...
>
> For some people, it might just be enough to get by...
>
> I haven't actually tried this yet.  It's a possibility though, and I'd
> certainly be interested in how it works out, if someone does try it.

People are working on these style systems.

If you can tweak your DB api, you could make the masters server
redundant i.e fall back to an slave.

In order to trap any new insert/updates if the master has been down I
think you need to make the master a slve for the secondary slave.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Greg.