Re: Re[2]: Does someone really use LVS as a HTTP,FTP or SMTP server?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Does someone really use LVS as a HTTP,FTP or SMTP server?
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:30:27 +0100
On 2000-11-21T19:19:03,
   huatao <thua@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

>    So if i have dynamic webserver content, the realservers will share one
>    database or they each have one and keep them snychro? If those
>    requests are mostly database related, i guess the workload will not be
>    balanced very well if there is only one database. And if those
>    realsevers each have a database, let's say MySQL, is it possible to
>    keep them synchro?

Having a single database server in the back would be the most common setup in
this case.

Of course, if your database is the bottleneck instead of the
application/webservers, this won't help much ;-)

Synchronising multiple instances of the same database is rather difficult if
your database doesn't support it: You would need online replication for Oracle
for example.

If your database only changes once per day or so, you could use rsync to
replicate read-only copies of it to each real server after an update.

Even if you would still use a single server to keep the per user data, this
would replicate the bulk of the queries (your database content) and ease the
load on your database server considerably.

>    Sorry, i think i did not make myself very clear in last letter, but
>    your answer is very helpful, i can learn a lot from it as well :-)
>    What i really wanted to say is how to verify those scheduling
>    algorithms like rr,wrr,lc,wlc, using browser? But cache is a big
>    problem when making verifications.

You can verify this using the logfiles on the real servers.

You can also just have a "hidden" document at a specific location on your real
servers with different content on each node and see whether reloading that
document gives roughly the result you expect.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>
    Development HA

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl