Re: Re[2]: Does someone really use LVS as a HTTP,FTP or SMTP server?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Does someone really use LVS as a HTTP,FTP or SMTP server?
Cc: huatao <thua@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kyle Sparger <ksparger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:25:05 -0500 (EST)
> 6.6.2.6 Databases
>
> Normal databaseds (eg mysqld, ie anything else but
> Oracle's parallel database server for several 100k$)
> running under LVS suffer the same restrictions of single
> writer/many readers as does any other service where user
> can write to files on the real-server (eg smtp).

I don't know how well it works, but from what I understand, recent
versions of MySQL contain replication code that allows you to replicate
(read only, mind you) from one server to another.

Something I was considering was creating a star-like topology of MySQL
databases -- a central one which accepts writes, and the arms being
exclusively for reads.

While this obviously isn't the ideal situation -- there is a single point
of failure for writes -- it does at least allow for high availability and
load balancing for reads.  When a program needs to read, connect to an LVS
balanced IP/port, which sends off to the read-only databases.  When you
need to write, connect to the real IP/port of the writable database...

For some people, it might just be enough to get by...

I haven't actually tried this yet.  It's a possibility though, and I'd
certainly be interested in how it works out, if someone does try it.

Thanks,

Kyle Sparger