Re: Configuration for LVS-DR

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Configuration for LVS-DR
From: "Victor" <victord@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:01:09 -0500

> > > oops, different configure script. someone else will have to handle
> > > this one.
> > >
> > > Joe
> >
> > This wasn't from a configure script. I made this by hand (using
examples). I
> > don't understand why it didn't work.
> >
> > Ok, I tried the perl ./configure script. I got a 150K file
> > How do I run this on a client?
>
> $ ./filename
>
> However the client is not part of the LVS and you don't configure
> it - it normally lives out on the internet. In this case the
> script will exit with an error saying that it isn't running
> on a machine that it was configured for.

Sorry. I misspoke and used an incorrect word. I meant how do I run it on a
realserver. My realserver is a solaris box. I added an non-arp interface to
it:

$ ifconfig lo0:110 inet 10.0.0.110 netmask 255.255.255.255 -arp up
$ ifconfig -a

lo0: flags=849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 8232
     inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
lo0:110: flags=8c9<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,NOARP,MULTICAST> mtu 8232
     inet 10.0.0.110 netmask ffffffff
hme0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
     inet 10.0.0.100 netmask ffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255

> > When I go to 10.0.0.110 from a client, it doesn't work.

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO-28.html#ss28.1

Yes, yes. you're right... I just didn't know what to post.
Basically, this is a 3 server setup at the moment: [client --- director ---
realserver] all on the same switch. Realserver is 'sunbox', I posted how I
set it up above. There is hardly any config on sunbox. Just an ifconfig for
a nonarpable interface and HTTP. That's it.

Director is running 2.4.12 with IPVS 0.8.2 and IPVSADM. That's it. I got the
perl configure distro (the script you talked about) and tried to configure
the example as best I could (as I only have three boxes in this test). I
enabled ip_forwarding on the director. Director has no arp hiding (at least
I didn't add anything, so if 2.4.12 has it or the IPVS patch had it, then it
does. if not, then it doesn't). I don't think it is needed on a director,
but I am posting just to make sure. Client can ping both server using DIP
and RIP. Client can ping VIP (and hits Director).

Here is what I used for perl ./configure
#----------lvs_dr.conf----------------------------------------
LVSCONF_FORMAT=1.1
LVS_TYPE=VS_DR
INITIAL_STATE=on
CLEAR_IPVS_TABLES=yes
#VIP line format - device[:alias] IP netmask broadcast
#DIP line format - device[:alias] IP network netmask broadcast
VIP=eth0:110 10.0.0.110 255.255.255.255 10.0.0.110
DIP=eth0 10.0.0.249 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.255
#no DIRECTOR_GW for VS-DR or VS-Tun
#DIRECTOR_GW=
#SERVICE line format - proto port scheduler IP[,weight] [IP[,weight]]
SERVICE=t http rr sunbox
SERVER_VIP_DEVICE=lo:110
SERVER_NET_DEVICE=eth0
#SERVER_GW - packets with src_addr=VIP, dst_addr=0/0 are sent to SERVER_GW
#to be forwarded to the outside world.
#For standard VS-DR,VS-Tun, this must _NOT_ be the director.
#For Julian's martian modification (see the HOWTO), it will be the director.
#If you don't know about the martian modification, you aren't using it.
#The script will not neccesarily set up the SERVER_GW as the real-servers's
default gw.
SERVER_GW=client
#----------end lvs_dr.conf------------------------------------

I think the problem lays somewhere with the director. I think the kernel and
ipvsadm are functioning and I think the sunbox is properly configured for
the nonarp situtation. What I am not sure of is the configuration of the
director. Basically, I ran the output conf script produced from above input.
That's the config of the director.

> > Also, if I want to have more than one cluster group, how do I configure
> > that?
>
> run another set of commands with the info for that group on top
> of the first set of commands
>
> Joe

Oh, so I would make a bunch of these rc.lvs_dr scripts for each pool?