Re: lvs-NAT ftp (Kernel 2.4.19)

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lvs-NAT ftp (Kernel 2.4.19)
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 08:17:50 -0500
Julian Anastasov wrote:

> > do you know if ip_vs_ftp works in PASV mode for 2.4.x kernels?
>
>         It should work for NAT without persistence as long as the
> ftp daemon is using the "227 Entering Passive Mode (" response.

Was thinking about LVS-DR with active ftp and persistence on the director
and I realised I didn't know really how it worked.

After connection from the client on port=N to VIP:21 we have

realserver               client
VIP:20     SYN ->    client:N+1

client                 director
client:N+1 ACK ->        VIP:20

I would have expected that the packet from client:N+1
would not be accepted by the director as it does not follow
a SYN packet from client:N+1->VIP:20, which would set up an
entry for a new connection in the hash tables.

Is this packet accepted because with persistence, once the initial
connection is made, that any packets from any port on the client
to any port on the VIP are accepted as part of the same connection
and no new entry is made in the hash table for the packets to VIP:20?

Joseph Mack PhD, Senior Systems Engineer, SAIC contractor
to the National Environmental Supercomputer Center,