Re: ipvs/ipvsadm version?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ipvs/ipvsadm version?
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:30:22 +0900
On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:49:34PM +0100:
> Hi
>
> We're trying to get LVS to work on s390 with RedHat 7.2 (default RedHat
> kernel).
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.9-17 contains:
>
> ./kernel/net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_dh.o
> ./kernel/net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs.o
> ./kernel/net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_lblc.o
> ./kernel/net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_ftp.o
> ./kernel/net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_lblcr.o
> ./kernel/net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_lc.o
> ./kernel/net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_rr.o
> ./kernel/net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_sh.o
> ./kernel/net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_wlc.o
> ./kernel/net/ipv4/ipvs/ip_vs_wrr.o
>
> so I take it that the kernel is patched with ipvs.
>
> 1. How do I determine which version of ipvs the kernel was patched with so
> that I can get the correct version of ipvsadm? I have tried various
> versions of ipvsadm but none seem to initialize ipvs.

If you have a version of ipvsadm that works at all, the version of the
kernel code can be displayed using "ipvsadm -L -n" and the version of
ipvsadm and the kernel code it was compiled against can be shown using
"ipvsadm -v".

It seems that Red Hat, in their infinite wizdom, ship 7.2
a kernel with ipvs patched in, but no matching version of ipvsadm.
Persumably this comes with some souped up version of 7.2 that uses
the same kernel. Still, its pretty lame.

In inspecting linux-2.4.2-ipvs.patch in their kernel source package
I find the line:

IP_VS_VERSION_CODE            0x000207

Indicating version 0.2.7. I'll stand corrected, but AFIK there is
no version 0.2.7 of LVS. So this must be a custom version. I don't
have the time or inclination to hunt through their sources
to find what version of ipvs this is based on. But suffice to
say there isn't a version of ipvsadm available on linuvirtualserver.org
that matches this.

You might get some value out of getting the source for the latest
ipvsadm and removing the version check. It really depends
on what changes Red Hat have made to what version.

> 2. Is this an viable approach, or should I compile a new kernel, patch it
> with ipvs and compile and build ipvsadm from scratch?

The suggestion that I have made above is probably worth a try, failing
that you are probably best to bite the bullet and build your own kernel.

Here are a couple of options that you have with regards to that:

1. Use the kernel supplied with Ultra Monkey 2.0.0. This is
   the Red Hat 7.2 kernel with their lvs code removed and
   1.0.4 added in.

   You also need to get the separate ipvs package. Which
   has the ipvs modules. Actually, do to some issues in
   the building of this package, i would suggest installing
   the kernel and herken-headers package and rebuilding
   the ipvs package.

2. Take Red Hat's RPM, remove their lvs stuff. Backport the new
   lvs code. And make a compatibility patch to fix things that
   break in the process. Make your own RPM.

3. Start from scratch and patch and build your own kernel based
   on the one from linux.org. This is the only method that is
   likely to get support from this list.

--
Horms