Re: Large HTTP Uploads timeout

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Large HTTP Uploads timeout
From: Matthew Crocker <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Feb 2003 15:46:33 -0500
On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 15:17, Jacob Coby wrote:
> > FYI. just tried it here.
> > I can ping a tunl device on another computer with regular packets and a
> 1024
> > packet.
>
> Just a nitpick, you tried pinging FROM a tunl device to another computer,
> correct?
>
> > Can you try this with LVS-NAT or LVS-DR as a test?
>
> No, I can't.  Our network topology doesn't allow it, and the system is live;
> people depend on it to do their daily work.  They can live with the minor
> problems of not being able to upload images, but I don't want to answer the
> phone for the next 4 hours while playing with LVS configurations.

And downloads of big images works fine right?  So there is a problem
with inbound packets that get fragmented.  934 is a weird packet size
for Ethernet it should be 1492 or 1500.

Try this

>From the LVS machine tun0:0 interface ping a real server with small ping
packets.  Setup tcpdump on each machine and watch the ICMPs to get a
picture of how it should work.  This works right?

Do the same test with big pings and see where the packets are being
dropped.  It would be nice if you had a 3rd machine setup as RMON on
your switch to watch packets on the wire to make sure they are leaving
the LVS box properly.

Try pinging the real servers from another machine on their local network
(one real server to another) with large and small pings.  Make sure that
works (I assume it will).

Start to eliminate problem areas. If the two real servers can ping each
other then they are not the problem.

If the packets aren't leaving the LVS server then it is the problem

If the packets are leaving the LVS server but not arriving at the real
servers check your switch config.  Double check MTU settings on
everything (ifconfig shows MTU).  Double check the switch port settings.

-Matt

> -Jacob

Matthew S. Crocker
Crocker Communications, Inc.  / Vice President
PO BOX 710
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710

Voice: 413-746-2760
Fax: 413-746-3704