Re: Large HTTP Uploads timeout

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Large HTTP Uploads timeout
From: Matthew Crocker <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 Feb 2003 13:38:32 -0500
This sounds layer 2ish.  Do you have MTU problems between interfaces?
Try pinging between all the machines with large pings (>935) and see
what happens.  Any CRC errors on the interfaces or switch ports?  Any
Duplexing errors?

-Matt

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 13:35, Jacob Coby wrote:
> > I meant the content of the service being offered, eg the html files
> > on the realservers.
>
> Ahh ok, the site is mirrored across the two servers using rdist.  Session
> management and content is database driven, so a client can transparently
> move from one server to another without having any problems.  I really don't
> need persistence, but it's there just in case until I'm able to assess
> everything a bit better.  I did a few months of fiddling around in testing
> without any problems, but apparently I forgot to check the upload stuff :-/
>
> > > HTTP, like it says in the subject ;).
> >
> > OK I have heard of it then :-)
> >
> > I'm not familiar will uploading with http though.
>
> It's just a type of HTTP POST.
>
> > > Its not just image uploads that cause the server to hang, large HTTP
> GETs
> > > are also problematic.
> >
> > I expect it will be easier to test if this is fixed and you should try
> this
> > first.
>
> After a bit of testing, a 934 byte file to POST (upload) works, but a 935
> byte file consistently DOES NOT.  What does this mean?  I've never seen a
> limit like that.  Am I leaning up against some weird packet fragmentation
> problem (even though the tcpdump stuff shows DF)?
>
> > I don't see anything odd in your tcpdumps.
>
> Hooray!  ;-)
>
> I've got to get this little problem fixed by Tuesday am, one way or another.
>
> I have a hunch that this little issue is causing problems with logging in
> for some people since that is done with a HTTP POST over https.  Next step
> is to test if this issue exists on the other realserver or not.  Maybe a
> route or interface conf issue?
>
> Thanks,
> -Jacob

Matthew S. Crocker
Crocker Communications, Inc.  / Vice President
PO BOX 710
Greenfield, MA 01302-0710

Voice: 413-746-2760
Fax: 413-746-3704