Red Hat Linux 9.0 and ipvs 1.0.8

To: Alex Kramarov <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, piranha-list@xxxxxxxxxx, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Red Hat Linux 9.0 and ipvs 1.0.8
From: pb <peterbaitz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:29:59 -0700 (PDT)
Alex,
Thanks for your input and research.

Another issue that crept in starting with RHLinux 8.0
was the Apache/PHP versions cause trouble for
PIRANHA_GUI such that I was unable to make it work
under 8.0, and stuck with 7.3.  This is particularly
so if you want to stick to stock kernel and stock
RPM's for installing Piranha and Ipvsadm and
SCSI_Reserve.

Question, what about someone upgrading from 7.3 to
9.0,  I'm assuming the ipvs module will be lost since
the new kernel is installed, and the old ones removed.

I can see Red Hat removing ipvs from their stock
kernels (except for Adavanced server) in order to push
people to buy AS.  But for all of us who have Piranha
running quite well on several 7.3 and 7.2 servers, the
Piranha_GUI issue in 8.0 was a kicker, and now ipvs
missing in 9.0 is a big problem if you don't want to
mess with recompiling kernels, and keep the upgrade
processes simple, and not have to move to AS.

I hope Red Hat will put back ipvs into their stock
kernels such as 9.0 and that others who use
Piranha/LVS and have a fix for Piranha_GUI will
publisize it.

Meanwhile the LVS list says "read the mini-HOWTO about
using RedHat kernels".

And I can confirm ip_vs is no longer in v9.0 - not on
my desktop.

Thanks
Peter

--- Alex Kramarov <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have already done extensive research about redhat
> 9 kernel and lvs
>
> 1. althought pre RH 9 redhat kernels did include
> ipvs, rh 9 doesn't. rh9 is
> desktop oriented, they want us to purchase RHAS to
> have ipvs
>
> 2. rh 9 is heavily patched, the most intruding
> patches are o1 scheduler, and
> the ntpl patches. these interfere with a lot of
> kernel work, ipvs and uml
> are these i met problem with in the last week.
>
> 3. you should not use the kernel-source rpm to build
> your own kernel, you
> should get the kernel.srpm, install it into
> /usr/src/redhat, and modify the
> spec file to include the ipvs patch. i was able to
> do that, but adding the
> ipvs patch, and removing O1 (which includes some
> preemt pieces) and ntpl
> related patches from the spec file (i also removed
> the lowlat patches,
> although they don't collide with ipvs). these
> redhat's optimisations are
> good for desktops, but they are affecting lvs
> director performance as much
> as 25 percent - see the list archives.
>
> 4. i will post my spec file, and the prebuilt RH 9
> kernel rpms and srpms for
> the i686 platform later, in the standard place.
>
> http://mail.incredimail.com/howto/lvs/install
>
> i will also see if the modules compile standalone
> with the regular redhat 9
> kernel - they did compile with the 7.3 kernel.
>
> Note. althought i don't see any impact of removing
> the ntpl patches from the
> kernel on any functionality or stability of the
> machines i use, if anyone
> has some input on this, i would be happy to hear it,
> since glibc is compiled
> with ntpl support on rh 9, and i am not going to
> recompile that !
>
> thank you.
>
> Alex.
>
> P.S. RH 7.3 is still me faviourite distro for
> servers, too bad it has only 8
> more months of support  ...

/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8lvs/include/linux/modversions.h