Re: [ANNOUNCE] ipvs 1.0.8

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] ipvs 1.0.8
From: Maxime Quinzin <maxime.quinzin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:49:28 +0200
Do your patches include both these for directors and these for real servers (client)

Alex Kramarov wrote:
Well, i have updated my patches at

http://mail.incredimail.com/howto/lvs/install/

and split them to

http://mail.incredimail.com/howto/lvs/install/RedHat7.3/
(now including latest 1.0.8), and
http://mail.incredimail.com/howto/lvs/install/RedHat9.0/

The latter including rebuild kernels with ipvs 1.0.8, and the ipvsadm rpm.

the INSTALL document describes the process of taking the original
kernel.src.rpm, and produring the desired, ipvs patched kernel. Worth
reading for RH users.

another option for rh 9 users is to use an rh 8 kernel - this is also in the
document...

On other note, while buiding the ipvsadm package, i ran into 3 problems :

1. make rpm in ipvsadm directory runs "rpm -ba" to build the rpms. this will
not work on RH 8 and up. the command should be "rpmbuild -ba" - this is
supported in the RH 7 distros - it is backwards compatible, and should be
safe change.

2. since redhat's kernel-source package doesn't install it's source files to
/usr/src/linux, but to /usr/src/linux-2.4 , i use "make
KERNELSOURCE=/usr/src/linux-2.4" to build the module on 7.3, but i cannot
pass this on while building ipvsadm rpm. There should be some mechanism in
place to deal with that.

3. documentation :

a. the minihowto states that redhat's kernel include ipvs - this is no
longer true ;(
b. the howto includes my note about redhat's kernel and heartbeat here

http://www.linux-vs.org/Joseph.Mack/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.unsupported.html#RH_prep
atched_LVS_from_the_mailing_list

this is no longer true, since kernel 2.4.18-27

Comments and suggestions are welcome,

Alex.