RE: Clean slate

Subject: RE: Clean slate
From: Peter Mueller <pmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:50:49 -0700
> > As I'm most familir with RedHat, I am working with LVS in
> RedHat 7.3
> > right now after running into some troubles with RH9 and the missing
> > kernel module... But I just was wondering if anyone has
> reliably got
> > LVS running on any more minimalistic distributions. I was
> looking at
> > some of the distributions on www.linux.org in the "Minimalist"
> > category but there are a lot of them.
>
> the kernel build is idenpendant of the distribution.

You should probably use a distribution that you're familiar with.  Redhat
7.2 or 7.3 seems to be very stable and a good choice - for now.  Just be
aware that Redhat is phasing out support in just about 1 year for 7.3.  This
means you might have to scrounge for patches/updated rpms on your own.

If you want to go 'minimalist' route, I could supply a LEAF package of
keepalived + kernel that runs LVS on flash ram if you're interested ;)

> > I am strongly tempted to just use the standard kernel but as I've
> > never had a reason to mess with the kernel before (please
> don't sneer
> > at me;-), I'm not quite sure what it would break if I went with the
> > standard kernel on an existing RH7.3 or RH9 install.. ?
>
> I would expect nothing would break.

Like Joe says, LVS is very stable.  If you want to avoid making your own
kernels, Horms has SRPMS available @ ultramonkey.org.

Peter