re: slow response of the realserver

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: re: slow response of the realserver
From: Michael Lee <ctlee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:43:53 +0800
> Are you seeing any identd packets on your network?

Actually, no. But the symptom suggested that way I think...  I don't know how
to use tcpdump, so may be I missed those identd packet. I tried to use "tcpdump
port auth" on lvs2, but I see nothing

> ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
> becomes:
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE  -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0

I tried this command on the director (lvs1), no error msg but it doesn't solve
the problem

> ipchains -A forward -p tcp -j MASQ -s realserver1 1024:65535 -d 0.0.0.0/0
> becomes
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE -s realserver \
>       --source-port 1024:65535 -d 0.0.0.0/0

this command returned the following error:

Bad argument '--source-port'

> What do your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files look like?

They are empty (on the director as well as realserver). Would an "ALL:ALL"
entry in the hosts.allow helps? Should that be done on director or realsever?

> http generally doesn't used identd. I am skeptical about
> this being the source of your problem if http isn't working.

So can you suggest my next move? I don't know what to do next, especailly when
I see my other realservers (lvs1, which is also a director, and lvs3, which is
a winxp box) work normally... I tried to swap the role of lvs1 and lvs2 (lvs2
becoming a director and a localnode realserver), but the result is the same,
request disptached to lvs1 is delayed in this case.

Regards,
Michael Lee
M.Phil Student, HKUCSIS