Re: LVS newbies need help

Subject: Re: LVS newbies need help
From: Ariyo Nugroho <ariyo132@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:02:24 -0700 (PDT)
--- Mikkel Kruse Johnsen <mkj.its@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Kim & Ariyo
>
> Here is just a few pointers.
>
> 1.     You only need the hidden patch on the
> realservers, (Not on the
> LVS server itself)
> Good luck
>
> /Mikkel

Thanks for your advice Mikkel. But, for my case, I use
 Windows Server 2003 boxes as my realservers, and the
forwarding method I chose is LVS-NAT. So, I don't need
hidden patch rigth now, is it right?

BTW, are there someone who has tried build LVS with
Windows Server 2003 as the realserver? Does it work?

> On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 14:31, Kim Christensen wrote:
>
> > What about if we make our own step guide ?

Yeah! I agree with you! May be I'm too stupid for the
current HOWTO and Mini-HOWTO :) So, may be we can
write new one, in "Idiot's Guide" style. But before
that, let's make our LVS run first!

My LVS consists of :
1. director    : RH 9, kernel 2.4.21
2. realservers : Windows Server 2003
3. client      : Mandrake 9

I use LVS-NAT, coz I think it's the easiest for
beginner, it doesn't have ARP problem, and it works
with any OS (CMIIW).

I have installed ipvsadm, make the configuration by
hand (I want to learn the processes behind it), and
the ipvsadm seems well. I can run ipvsadm -l --stats.

I can ping any node, and also ping the VIP. But, when
I tried telnet to the realservers, nothing happened.
Time out.

After searching long enough in the mailing archive, I
found the problem: LVS-NAT doesn't work if the client
is in the same network with LVS! Woaa! I don't know it
earlier... Is it written in the HOWTO?

I'll contact my network administrator to give me
access to another network then.

Now, for the LVS gurus, I have some questions. I hope
you don't mind :)
1. It's said that ipvsadm doesn't have error-checking
facility. So, if I wrongly compiled my kernel, ipvsadm
would not tell us anything, right? Then, how to know
that our kernel is compiled (and patched) correctly?

2. Are there anyone who has tested LVS with Windows
Server 2003? What forwarding method used? Are there
ARP problem with it?