Re: LVS newbies need help

Subject: Re: LVS newbies need help
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:18:10 +0900
On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 08:02:24PM -0700, Ariyo Nugroho wrote:

> --- Mikkel Kruse Johnsen <mkj.its@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Kim & Ariyo
> >
> > Here is just a few pointers.
> >
> > 1.     You only need the hidden patch on the
> > realservers, (Not on the
> > LVS server itself)
> > Good luck
> >
> > /Mikkel
> >

> Thanks for your advice Mikkel. But, for my case, I use
>  Windows Server 2003 boxes as my realservers, and the
> forwarding method I chose is LVS-NAT. So, I don't need
> hidden patch rigth now, is it right?

Yes, that should be correct. You do not need the hidden
patch if you are using LVS-NAT.

> BTW, are there someone who has tried build LVS with
> Windows Server 2003 as the realserver? Does it work?

Unfortunately most/all of the LVS developers don't actually
use Windows for anything so we have to rely on users
(like you) to track down how to get things working on Windows.

I believe there is some information in the HOWTO on how to get this
working.

> > On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 14:31, Kim Christensen wrote:
> >
> > > What about if we make our own step guide ?
>
> Yeah! I agree with you! May be I'm too stupid for the
> current HOWTO and Mini-HOWTO :) So, may be we can
> write new one, in "Idiot's Guide" style. But before
> that, let's make our LVS run first!

Have you looked at the documenation on ultramonkey.org.
It is a bit more bare-bones.

> My LVS consists of :
> 1. director    : RH 9, kernel 2.4.21
> 2. realservers : Windows Server 2003
> 3. client      : Mandrake 9
>
> I use LVS-NAT, coz I think it's the easiest for
> beginner, it doesn't have ARP problem, and it works
> with any OS (CMIIW).
>
> I have installed ipvsadm, make the configuration by
> hand (I want to learn the processes behind it), and
> the ipvsadm seems well. I can run ipvsadm -l --stats.
>
> I can ping any node, and also ping the VIP. But, when
> I tried telnet to the realservers, nothing happened.
> Time out.

tcpdump is your friend. Or ethereal. Or something similar for Windows.
You need to trace and understand the packets on the network
to find out what is going wrong.

> After searching long enough in the mailing archive, I
> found the problem: LVS-NAT doesn't work if the client
> is in the same network with LVS! Woaa! I don't know it
> earlier... Is it written in the HOWTO?
>
> I'll contact my network administrator to give me
> access to another network then.

You should be able to create your own network using RFC 1918 addresss
space.

> Now, for the LVS gurus, I have some questions. I hope
> you don't mind :)
> 1. It's said that ipvsadm doesn't have error-checking
> facility. So, if I wrongly compiled my kernel, ipvsadm
> would not tell us anything, right? Then, how to know
> that our kernel is compiled (and patched) correctly?

What errors would you like to check for?
Ipvsadm does report errors for the actions
it performs. However it is not a general troubleshooting tool.