Gateway in LVS-DR

Subject: Gateway in LVS-DR
From: Ariyo Nugroho <ariyo132@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:38:07 -0800 (PST)
Hi all!

First, I'm gonna announce that my LVS-NAT finally
works well. Yeah. I followed your suggestion: I use 2
NIC's with 2 networks. I'm using Linux RH9 as
director, and mix of Windows Server 2003, and
Slackware as realservers. The services are telnet and
http (apache and IIS).

Then the problem came when I want to try next level: I
want to setup LVS for ftp. After searching so long in
the documentation, I found that there's no example
about setting ftp with LVS-NAT. I've tried to figure
out setting up LVS-NAT for ftp. But I got nothing.

So, because those examples about ftp are all using
LVS-DR, here I am, trying to have LVS-DR.

I have questions about LVS-DR:

1. Is it OK that the director also acts as the
gateway? From my previous setup with LVS-NAT, I'm left
with the director acted as the gateway for the
realservers. And for some reasons, I think I'll keep
using it as the gateway.

2. I don't understand what this command does:

/sbin/ifconfig lo:110 192.168.1.110 broadcast
192.168.1.110 netmask 255.255.255.255

I found it in LVS-Mini-HOWTO. It's said that It's
supposed to be done on the realservers. I don't
understand why it points itself as broadcast address,
and why we use netmask 255.255.255.255

Would anyone please give me an enlightment? :)

Regards,

Ariyo